Canada Post - Sell Online Developer's Site
Frequently Asked Questions
Comments, suggestions or did not find your answer ?
What is Sell Online ?
What do I need to use Sell Online on my web site ?
The Sell Online?s documentation.
An Internet connection to communicate with our server.
You also need to register your account on the Sell Online server by sending an email
Is the use of Sell Online free ?
Yes. The documentation and technical support are
However, you must sign an agreement with Canada Post.
Call your Canada Post Sales Rep. or send an email to email@example.com
Am I committed to a minimum number of parcels to be sent with Canada Post when using Sell Online ?
Where do I get the documentation ?
Does Canada Post provide technical support ?
Yes, Canada Post provide free technical support during
regular business hours.
Will Sell Online work if there is a firewall between Sell Online?s server and I ?
Yes. You have to inform your system administrator that
you need to perform outgoing communication between your computer
and the Sell Online server (IP address=sellonline.canadapost.ca Port:30000). They will need to reconfigure
your company?s firewall to allow you such operation.
Which programming language can I use to interface with the Sell Online's server ?
You may find all detailed information about that, here.
- Your server makes a direct connection to our server using HTTP, in which case you
can use any current HTML tools you have.
- When directly connecting to our server, you must use HTTP POST.
Is there a decision tree available to help me ?
Yes (see below).
This decision tree will help you at each step of
the integration of Canada Post into your store.
Intershop can't find Sell Online configuration file
This problem is due to Intershop when working with Perl.
You must move the configuration file to Intershop's root directory
For instance, if Intershop has been installed on "C:\Intershop" then the
configuration file must be located int "C:\Intershop".
What is the shipping profile ?
The shipping profile contains some of the essential information concerning each
of the Sell Online's merchants. For example, Sell Online needs to know from which
postal code the merchant's items will be shipped to be able to provide accurate rates
and delivery dates. This information is kept on one of Canada Post's servers and is
accessible through a Web Browser.
What do I need to change my shipping profile
- An Internet connection
- A browser (Netscape or Internet Explorer)
- Your browser must be Java Script enabled
- The retailer ID and password assigned by Canada Post
What is the IP adress/port of the Sell Online server?
- sellonline.canadapost.ca (30000)
What is XML ?
- The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is the universal format for structured
documents and data on the Web. Further information can be found
here and here.
Where can I find an XML parser ?
- New version of Sell Online is returning a response using XML format
- Processing the XML document will require an XML parser. Depending on the programming language you are using,
you may be interested in one of the following parser:
Where should the DTD be located ?
- DTD must be located on your server i.e. local to your web site.
- There are several ways for your XML document to refer to the DTD:
- HTTP URL: Your DTD is loaded through a web server using this format
- FILE URL: Your DTD is loaded directly from the hard drive.